Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Isaiah 32:17 -- On Peace, Quietness, and Assurance

"And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever."
Isaiah 32:17


I really like this because it is basically telling us what the result of living the gospel is. And when I think of the opposite of peace... war, or stress, or grating loud noise, or uncertainty and worry... then I really want that peace for myself. Especially the inner peace part where I am happy with who I am and God and I are on the same page. And I think that we can have that on an individual level if we work at it by praying and reading the scriptures and sincerely trying each day to do as God asks and keep the Spirit with us.

Imagine, though, what the world would be like if everyone did that, and if everyone had that calmness and confidence. No more insecurity, no more uncertainty about the big things. The effect is tremendous and life-changing in our individual lives, and it only gets larger and better the more people join in. :) People who are at peace aren't going to yell or bring disquiet or stress into other people's lives either. Today, let's be part of the solution... getting and spreading peace and quietness and assurance.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne, Happy fourth of July to you, 2013. I have been studying this verse along with the word righteousness in the New Testament Greek. We have God's Divine approval because we believed in His Son. God says we are holy, blameless and above reproach.(Col 1:23) Who would believe this without the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the scripture. :) I think that being righteous and blameless takes some work and sometimes a lot of repentance, but it is definitely something that makes life better, and worth striving for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this because it focuses on peace; which implies that we all get along (without the hatred or negative perceptions that may surface because of differences). It requires love and tolerance for one another - as long as our weirdness doesn't have a negative impact on others (however, I suppose, if we were living the gospel, none of us would be weird).

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews