Friday, August 20, 2010

Jeremiah 2:32-33

"Can a maid forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? yet my people have forgotten me days without number.
Why trimmest thou thy way to seek love? therefore hast thou also taught the wicked ones thy ways."
Jeremiah 2:32-33


I was reading in Jeremiah this morning, and this chapter and the one after are very interesting, but I'm not sure I understand all of it. The part right here where it says "why trimmest thou thy way to seek love" could be interpreted in many ways... in fact, my sister thinks it means that diets are pointless. And although that is certainly a tempting interpretation, to me it seems more like taking a shortcut.
My close friend's brother is getting married today, and so I've heard a lot about all the effort that has gone into the maid's ornaments and the bride's attire, and my sister remembers exactly what she was wearing the day she got married. It seems like weddings are one of those things people don't forget. And so, even though we remember those things that are really important to us like that, we still forget the Lord. And it seems like God is wondering why we put him into the "easily forgettable" category in our lives. God should be as important as a wedding, and more important than any of those other things. And since God *is* love, and the love of God is the greatest gift we could hope to achieve... why do we take shortcuts around him, seeking exactly what he is offering us already? When we wander off into other paths seeking what God could give us, all we're doing is asking for temptation... for false covers for the holes that only God can fill in our lives. Today, let's return to God (as he asks in the first verse of the next chapter), and remember that there is no shortcut to love, or to anything else good. All those paths include God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews