Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Titus 3:1-2

"Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men."
Titus 3:1-2


Sometimes it makes me cringe when the scriptures tell me to be meek, and to submit or be subject to anyone... maybe because you see a lot of corruption in the world, but probably mostly because I don't like submitting. I want to do my thing, and be in charge. :) Thankfully for the world, I am not... God is. :) I think this is similar to our article of Faith that tells us to obey, honor, and sustain the law. We need to submit to those that we as a society have placed in charge. The part that really gets me here is "to speak evil of no man" (and I'm sure this includes women as well... no squirming out of it). I think that is tough. I'm sure that it includes bosses, co-workers, brothers and sisters, and presidential candidates. ... Used-car salesmen, lawyers, spouses, children, and whoever cheated or took advantage of us today as well. That's a tough one. But good, and something that brings us closer to our commandment to love our enemies, to love our neighbors as ourselves, and to set an example for all. I love that God commands us to be gentle here. I wonder today, if we can be... can we focus on loving the people around us, no matter what they've done, and be gentle with everyone? It's a tough thing to ask, but God *has* asked it... so I say, let's go for it. :) Today, no speaking evil of anyone, and work on being gentle. I think we can do it if we try. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews