Monday, October 6, 2008

Alma 37:23

"And the Lord said: I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations."
Alma 37:23


I think this is so interesting.  The stone part reminds me of the Urim and Thummim... or even the stones of the Brother of Jared. Cool, mysterious stuff.   Is it just me, or is it harder to imagine someone walking on water than touching a stone to make it into a lamp of sorts?  That is amazingly cool... both are, of course, but... wow. :) Anyway, I had read this verse before many times but I don't think I ever *really* read it, if you know what I mean.  This stone showed other people basically what was up with the secret combinations.  A stone that could show you the truth of what other people were doing.   Can you imagine?  I mean, I think that we have that a little bit, all of us, as we have the spirit with us, God will help us to see through deceptions and seek out the truth... but can you imagine having that stone in the world today?   You'd probably faint if you pointed it at Washington DC or at almost any government around the world.  We don't have it (as far as I know) today... but the goal remains clear. Let's keep the spirit with us, and make sure we seek the truth and the goodness in life, and do what we can to shine light into all "secret works of darkness." ... I think that is what walking in the light is... NOT hiding things from people, not working in darkness. And the first step is our own lives.  If there are things that we think we need to hide, let's let them go, or show them clearly. There is no place for hidden parts of us when we open ourselves to God, and when we join as a Zion people.  I'm not saying it happens overnight, or that it is easy, but it is a good goal.   To walk in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews