Saturday, January 10, 2004

Alma 24:18

"And this they did, it being in their view a testimony to God, and also to men, that they never would use weapons again for the shedding of man’s blood; and this they did, vouching and covenanting with God, that rather than shed the blood of their brethren they would give up their own lives; and rather than take away from a brother they would give unto him; and rather than spend their days in idleness they would labor abundantly with their hands."
Alma 24:18


Usually when I read this scripture I am caught up in the story of the former Lamanites who refused to resist when they were attacked, and all that happens afterward.  This time, though, I am noticing the other parts of the scripture... how they would give rather than take, and work rather than sit around. :)  They weren't just single-issue saints. :)  I like that.  And those are some things that I need to think about in my life... being aware of idleness and what else I could be doing that is more productive, and being more conscious of other people and my give/take ratio. :)  Murder is right out as well, but it was good to notice the other parts of the scripture as well, and maybe we can apply it to our lives today, and be a little happier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews