Friday, March 7, 2003

Alma 33:23

"And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith.  And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life.  And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son.  And even all this can ye do if ye will.  Amen."
Alma 33:23


I like this idea of our burdens being light because of joy.  That's a cool idea.  And, thinking about it, it seems to work.  I know that even the worst things can seem fine when I am happy, and even the best things seem tinged with shadow when I am unhappy.  I guess one of the things that we most need to learn about the gospel is that Christ is the source of happiness... we get closer to true joy as we get closer to God, and farther away from happiness as we lose touch with God.  ... it's a basic truth, but I think that sometimes we depend on other things to bring us happiness, and try to imagine that we can leave God behind without losing anything.  As we try the experiment (plant the seed) of living the gospel, we discover that nothing severed from God is worth having.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews