Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Abraham 3:27-28 -- On Anger and Accepting Heavenly Advice

"And the Lord said: Whom shall I send? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first.
And the second was angry, and kept not his first estate; and, at that day, many followed after him."
Abraham 3:27-28


What struck me about this today is just the anger at someone else being chosen, which reminded me also a little bit of Cain and Abel. Going back to the very beginning, jealousy, comparison, and anger have gotten us into a lot of trouble.

Today, maybe we should take a step back and examine our anger. If we are reacting with that emotion, can we pinpoint what triggered it? Do we know what the underlying emotion was that led here? My Psych teacher always told us that anger was a secondary emotion... something else comes first. If we can figure out what that is, maybe we can understand ourselves a little better and stop jumping to the anger part right away.

Not saying it is easy... or that it was easy back then. We know that there was a lot more to the war in heaven than a simple overreaction. Vast philosphies regarding who we are and our potential were/are involved. And yet, without anger it is a lot easier to listen to and understand the other side of any dispute, and in our case, to hear and understand the wisdom of God. So, let's make the attempt, as hard as it can be sometimes to overcome ourselves and to accept heavenly advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews