Tuesday, March 15, 2022

1 Corinthians 13:2-3 -- On Learning to Love

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."
1 Corinthians 13:2-3


This is some pretty strong stuff. We learn elsewhere that faith without works is dead (James 2:17), which is also clear here, but this goes further, letting us know that faith AND works are both useless without charity (the pure love of Christ--Moroni 7:47), or in other words, sincere, heartfelt positive emotion towards our fellow beings.

We gloss over this I think, sometimes, thinking yeah, we understand, love is good, but this is much bigger than I think we realize. This says even if we have all knowledge... all. That's crazy, God-level stuff. And ALL faith. That's being able to move mountains and walk on water, right? And even if we give away everything that we have and offer our very lives. That's huge... what else is there?

To me, this is outlining the difference between Satan's plan and God's plan. Supernatural faith and actions can't make up for that core, essential love that God has for us, and which was the impetus for the atonement. That was the essential difference between "technically" saving mankind and really saving all of us.

Today, let's remember that there is something more important than believing OR doing, or both of them together... and that is love. No wonder the two great commandments are about that, or that we are asked to "pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love" (Moroni 7:48). It is the essential ingredient without which absolutely everything else falls flat. Which doesn't mean that we are worthless dross if we don't have it... but it does mean that we need to pray and discover that love in our own lives, and not set it aside as though anything else could make up for it. All the rest of it does matter, but love is the core, and should be our top priority... learning how to love people better. We all need that lesson. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews