Friday, February 18, 2022

Psalms 18:28 -- On Light and Perfection

"For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness."
Psalms 18:28


There are a lot of verses here about the Lord helping David to overcome his enemies, which are very applicable if we need to be saved from our enemies, but in the spirit of likening "all scripture unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning" (1 Nephi 19:23), I really liked a couple of the verses that don't deal directly with the war here. I think we can all relate to needing the Lord to help "enlighten our darkness" at times, because we sometimes let our lights go out, and lose our way. I love that God can get us jumpstarted again even after we have given up hope of ever moving forward again... if we turn to him, he is with us in every time of trouble (Psalms 9:9, Psalms 37:39, Psalms 41:1, Daniel 12:1, Doctrine and Covenants 105:8).

Along with that idea of an infusion of hope into our lives when we need it most, I also like this verse: "It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect" (verse 32). ... We definitely can't do it alone, but God helps us make the difference between our mortal fallibility and perfection. He lets us have hundreds of do-overs, and teaches us line upon line how to incrementally improve, as fast as we are able. Just like in the movie Groundhog Day, with God's help and enough practice, if we are willing, eventually we can learn to perfect our days. :)

Today, let's go to God for an infusion of hope and another chance, and work on being better than we currently are. Just a little, over time, will make a difference, and God can help us get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews