Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Alma 18:22 -- On Being Wise and Harmless

"Now Ammon being wise, yet harmless, he said unto Lamoni: Wilt thou hearken unto my words, if I tell thee by what power I do these things? And this is the thing that I desire of thee."
Alma 18:22


I like the idea here of being "wise, yet harmless." It reminds me of an example of an explanation of a "foolish doctrine" where people tell each other than it is okay to "...lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor..." (2 Nephi 28:8-9), etc. Ammon was smart enough to take advantage of people, but wise and harmless enough that he wouldn't make that choice. It's also interesting because Ammon had just literally harmed several people who were trying to kill him and scatter the king's sheep, so saying that he is harmless is a statement about emotional and spiritual intent rather than physical ability.

I think that maybe this is part of what humility is, and what we can all strive for... to be wise, but harmless. Today, let's try to be like Ammon. If we see an opening where we can take advantage, let's refrain from trying to gain the upper hand and instead just work on serving others and listening to the spirit... let's work on being truly harmless, and healing any harm we've caused in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews