Sunday, November 28, 2021

Psalms 30:11-12 -- On Being Girded with Gladness

"Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever."
Psalms 30:11-12


I like the idea of turning mourning into dancing, and changing clothes from the traditional garb of mourning into wearing figurative robes of happiness (being girded with gladness). And I think that the Lord does that for all of us, if we are open to it. It is hard to see things that way when we are in the midst of sadness, and it is sometimes hard to let go of our pain because we think that in some way it is like a badge of honor, to remember all that we have lost. I think though that with time and prayer, God can and will turn all of our sorrows into joy. Maybe not all in this life, but all eventually... and enough now that we can find the good and the gladness even in the middle of a world well-stocked with tragedy and sorrow.

Today, let's make the effort to change out of our sorrow sackcloth, and gird ourselves with the gladness that the Lord offers us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews