Monday, November 1, 2021

1 Nephi 1:1 -- On Being Afflicted and Favored

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days."
1 Nephi 1:1


I like the idea here that Nephi was afflicted *and* favored. I think sometimes that we get it into our brains that affliction means that God doesn't like us or something, when that is far from the truth. God is with us in afflictions, turning even the worst things to work for our good.

Today, let's remember that we can be afflicted *and* favored, and let go of thinking that hardships and trials mean that we're horrible people. We aren't. God loves us, and will always help us as we turn to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews