Monday, March 2, 2015

Mosiah 2:25-26 -- On Dust and Infinite Potential

"And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you.
And I, even I, whom ye call your king, am no better than ye yourselves are; for I am also of the dust. And ye behold that I am old, and am about to yield up this mortal frame to its mother earth."
Mosiah 2:25-26


This morning I have the words of "Be Still, My Soul" (Hymns 124) going through my head.  The part that says "The waves and winds still know / His voice who ruled them, while he dwelt below" is what reminded me of this scripture.  I was thinking about how the storm listened when Christ told it to be still, but we don't so much.  I think King Benjamin's point here is that God can work with dust, but we make it really hard to work with us. :)
The funny thing is that we ask God for things all the time, but then we refuse to do as he asks.  We're like Naaman the leper (2 Kings 5) who went to the prophet to be cured of his leprosy, but then was mad when he heard what he had to say.  We want miracles, but we aren't willing to humble ourselves or take the time and effort to learn how to make them happen.  We want to be able to walk on water, but we don't understand that the prerequisites for that class are the ones we've been skipping out on all semester.  You know, like the remedial prayer and scripture study ones? :)
Today, let's remember the balance between dust and infinite potential.  It's in the choices that we make.  God is willing to give us more... to teach us everything.  But we have to master what we have before we'll be ready for more advanced lessons.  Let's step up and be easier to work with: willing to learn and grow and change.  If we can be, then God can make us into anything we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews