Thursday, January 10, 2002

Doctrine and Covenants 37:4

"Behold, here is wisdom, and let every man choose for himself until I come.  Even so.  Amen."
Doctrine and Covenants 37:4


I don't think that I always realize what an incredible blessing our ability to choose is.  In thinking about it, it seems almost impossible that a being with limitless power would choose not to impose his will when he could, as  easily as blinking, control our every action, and even our every thought.  Perhaps it surprises me because I see that kind of restraint rarely in human nature... or maybe because I see it rarely in myself. :)  It also amazes me because sometimes I get frustrated with myself and want more and more structure... John Donne and "Batter my heart" comes to mind.  I often wish that God would just take over for a while and make me be a good person, since I can't always manage it alone.  Today, though, I am grateful for my freedom to choose.  Grateful beyond words for the patience that our father has with us, letting us figure things out slowly... in our small and crippled way, and respecting our independence enough to let us find our own way, or discover our need for help on our own.  Perhaps God does this because he doesn't want slaves or robots... he wants some equals to talk to.  I hope one day I can grow up to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews