Friday, April 6, 2001

2 Thessalonians 2:8

"And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming."
2 Thessalonians 2:8


This is interesting... what I like the most I think is that God destroys with the brightness of his coming.  Not really the destroy part, but the WAY of it... Every morning I get up and stumble over to the light switch, and when I turn it on, it seems so unbelievably bright that I have to shade my eyes for a few minutes.  If you think about the effect of a mere 60-watt bulb on people who are used to darkness, think about the effect of God's brightness on someone who is practically MADE of darkness.  Joseph Smith described the pillar of light as "above the brightness of the sun" ... so, obviously, God's coming is brighter than anything that we know.  I've wondered about that pillar of light... does God ride the light, like a subway?  If people won't be able to tolerate his presence, is that because he is too bright? :)  Maybe the whole reason for us to get rid of our own personal darkness is that we have to build up our tolerance for light. :)  Maybe we have to become capable of giving off light, and to do that, I don't think that darkness could be any part of us. :)  As we live, do we literally grow brighter and brighter, or darker and darker, depending upon our choices?  And, apart from all my speculation... how do we avoid getting destroyed by the brightness of his coming?  Is there a way to adapt our eyes (and the rest of us) to that brightness now, before he appears?  Let's think of a way... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews