Monday, November 13, 2000

Doctrine and Covenants 88:38-40

"And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions.
All beings who abide not in these conditions are not justified.
For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth wisdom; truth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:38-40


It is so interesting to me how any limits we have are almost always self-imposed.  we're not in a public school system which goes at the pace of the slowest student.  our lessons are self-paced, and received as soon as we have mastered previous ones.  If we get stuck, it isn't because the teacher or the other students are holding us back... it is only because we haven't yet mastered the lesson.
One of my good friends at work and I went to lunch the other day and we were talking about religion... and we talked about a lot of things... you know, the meaning of life, the afterlife... and he said, "I just don't understand why me and Hitler will be in the same place."  (he was talking about Hell if you didn't follow that...)  And so I tried to explain the whole kingdom system that it talks about right here in D&C 88. :)  I guess his question made me think about the wisdom of the plan... but also how responsible we are for where we end up.  Like a relationship again... the things that we look for in other people... are they the things that are in us?  We can hope our whole lives to be able to reach heaven and hang out with all the people that are cooler than we are... but it will never happen.  We are going to go to the other side and hang out with the people who are at the same level of coolness. :)  And, think about it... do you want to hang out with people like you are right now, forever?  If so, then I think that you have little to worry about.  Personally, I don't think that I would.  I am not satisfied with where I am, not satisfied with who I am at this moment.  I need to become better, learn more... and I want to hang out with people who are better than I currently am.  So, I have a lot of work to do.  What we get out of this life... and where we are after this life, depends on what we put into it.  It depends on our choices, our intelligence, truth, virtue, wisdom, justice, and mercy... and the grace of God.  It doesn't depend on our social status, our job, or anything else.  wherever we are, whoever we are, we will end up in a place where everyone shines as brightly as we do.  I'm sure that the conversation will be fascinating. :)  Today though... rise above who *you* think you are, and listen to what God says that you can become.  Wouldn't it be cool to get to hang out with _God_ for eternity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews