Saturday, December 18, 1999

John 14:18-20

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."
John 14:18-20


I like this scripture for a lot of reasons. One, the obvious comfort issue. I think it is cool that God cares about our feelings that much. A lot of times we have to face hard things in life... every day, in fact... but God never leaves us without some source of comfort that we can tap into whenever we choose. I also like that he says that the world will no longer see Him, but we will. I think that is pretty profound. Kind of like having an eye single to his glory... he is always there before our eyes if we choose to see him. And because he lived... and made it through this life... we can too. That is amazing to me. And then the last verse... I've always thought that part of the atonement was learning what it was like to be in our shoes... to actually be us. Christ suffered from our perspective, shared our pain... and knows what it is like to be where we are in life, our emotions, our fears... all of it. In this verse it also says that we have an opportunity to be in him... that we can learn to know him as well as he knows us. And, to step back a little... what would you give to know a God that well? It’s an amazing concept, even if you lower it to the level of Greek mythology or something. I think that humanity has been trying to get close to immortality and the divine for centuries... and here, we have a chance to do it. That is huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews