Friday, February 15, 2019

Moses 6:32-34 -- On Walking With God

"And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.
Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me."
Moses 6:32-34


The Lord promised some cool things to Enoch as he became a prophet, more than just in these verses, but I really liked the idea in the last verse of what it means to walk with God.  The way God expresses the idea here makes it clear that it isn't some supreme ruler-minion relationship, but that it is much more of a teacher-student or kind of mentor-apprentice type relationship.  God is committing himself to the relationship in a fully participatory way, offering to walk together, and by implication it seems to experience things together and to make things happen, together.  In other words, God is offering to send his spirit with us to be with us all the time, seeing things from our individual perspectives, and helping us as we help him on that micro level.

As Moses said "would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" (Numbers 11:29).  These promises are for all of us, as we learn to follow God's path and walk with him.  We might not all need the mountains to flee before us, but God promises revelation to all of us for our own areas of responsibility.  Today, let's be willing to walk with God and learn from him as we do his good work of helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews