Saturday, April 14, 2018

Abraham 1:2 -- On Reflection and Refinement

"In the land of the Chaldeans, at the residence of my fathers, I, Abraham, saw that it was needful for me to obtain another place of residence;
And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers."
Abraham 1:1-2


This is interesting to me because in thinking about it today, I think we all do this.  Abraham is getting ready to move (he doesn't mention it right here at the beginning, but this is serious need, not just "hmm, maybe I want to travel the world for a bit.") and he takes the opportunity to think about what he wants, and who he wants to be.

Abraham sees that there is greater happiness and peace through God.  And isn't that part of the conversion story for everyone?  When we finally realize that God can take care of us, and everything, way way better than we can, and that we have a lot to learn, and we'll get more happiness and peace doing things his way rather than our way?  He realizes that he truly wants to be righteous, and to know more, and learn more, and to follow God.  He doesn't just want the blessings alone, but he sees what following God entails.  He wants the blessings, *and* the way of life that is inherently tied to them, because he wants to be a better person as well, and to learn God's way.

Today, even if we aren't in the middle of moving, let's take some times for reflection and refinement, as Abraham did.  Let's look at our lives and think about what we want, and who we want to be.  Let's work at learning, and living, and becoming better, with God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews