Wednesday, January 25, 2017

1 Samuel 17:43-45 -- On Faith and Confidence

"And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied."
1 Samuel 17:43-45


This is a selection from the story of David and Goliath.  I think we probably all know how the story ends, but I really like this part in the middle because it shows David's supreme confidence in God. He wasn't afraid of the amazingly huge guy who just said he was going to kill him, because he knew that God was helping him.

I wonder what things we would do differently in our lives, if we had this same supreme confidence in God.  Hopefully, most of the time death is not the answer, but even without the battle context, what could we not face?  What could we not change for the better?

Today, let's think about our faith and how we are applying it in our lives.  And let's take a page from David's book, and maybe step up our game a little bit, remembering that God is with us in all things, and that he is open to our prayers and our efforts to do good, and is totally willing to help us do miraculously good things.  Even when it feels like we're not strong enough, and we are facing a Goliath, when we stand up for God, we can prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews