Wednesday, October 8, 2014

D&C 11:4-8 -- On Being Called to Do Good

"Yea, whosoever will thrust in his sickle and reap, the same is called of God.
Therefore, if you will ask of me you shall receive; if you will knock it shall be opened unto you.
Now, as you have asked, behold, I say unto you, keep my commandments, and seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion.
Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be done unto you; and, if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation."
Doctrine and Covenants 11:4-8


I've been doing a lot of interviews lately, and in one of them, an applicant asked me what I look for in an employee.  Part of my answer was that I like it when people don't wait to be told what to do... they can see that there is plenty of work, and they jump in and do it.  When I read these verses this morning, it reminded me of that, and I think that is sort of what God is saying to us.  He's asking us to look around us, to see the needs and all the work that needs to be done in God's name, and to jump in and do it.  Instead of waiting for an assignment, whoever starts doing the work is *automatically* called.  I really like that idea... being able to jump in, find a good thing, and start doing it, and to automatically be approved of God and have his blessing.  We don't have to wonder what God wants us to do.  We just have to find something to do that helps and builds God's kingdom.
If we are doing God's work and building his kingdom, then we can ask and knock, and God will help us with our work, which is really his work too.  Building Zion... in whatever way we can.  He even goes so far as to say that whatever we desire will be done unto us.  That's a huge promise, and one that I think is very real and within reach of all of us, if we find a project to do for God.
God cautions us to not seek for riches, but for wisdom, and then we will be made rich with eternal life. :)  That is a great promise, and I think it is also a warning not to go too far or to get too selfish as we carve out our Zion project.  We shouldn't be in it for glory or riches, but seriously to build Zion... to establish his kingdom, and to really help people in whatever way we can.  And he promises us that if we desire, we can be the means of doing much good.  And I think that is pretty much the ultimate promise in here.  As fallible beings, we often stumble through this world making mistakes left and right and hurting people and screwing things up... and to be able to make up for that and be the means of doing much good... that's amazing.  It's a chance to redeem ourselves, to give back to others and help them as God has helped us to learn and to grow beyond who we have been into who we are, and even farther... into who we can be.  Let's take God up on his offer today.  Let's thrust in our sickles.  Let's find a project to do that builds God's kingdom, that helps people, that does good.  And God will support us in our work, and help us to do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews