Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ether 12:26-27 -- On Weakness

"And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
Ether 12:26-27


It's hard to imagine a world without weaknesses... but I imagine that it would be a lot harder for us to be humble.  We already think a lot of ourselves sometimes... think that we know better than God does... I can't imagine how much worse that would be if we didn't have some significant weaknesses that remind us to be humble, and that we aren't supermen.
I really love the way God talks about weaknesses as well.  We often think of them as permanent impediments in our lives.  We say "oh, I'm not good at that" as though that is the end of the discussion.  But God talks about weaknesses as temporary things.  Reminders that we need to be humble, but things that can turn into strengths if we are humble and have faith.
Today, let's learn from the way God talks about weakness.  Let's resolve to be humble and have faith, and to work on those weaknesses so that they no longer stand in our way.  And if we do turn a weakness into a strength with God's help, let's remember that help, and our need for God, despite our strength.  Let's help others with their weaknesses, and not take advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews