Saturday, May 24, 2014

Doctrine and Covenants 90:14-15 -- On Revelation and Learning

"And from time to time, as shall be manifested by the Comforter, receive revelations to unfold the mysteries of the kingdom;
And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people."
Doctrine and Covenants 90:14-15


I really like the idea here that revelation isn't everything.  Now, please don't get me wrong.  I completely believe in revelation, and prophecy, and I absolutely believe that when God tells us something, we should take it seriously.  But I also like the idea that at the same time we should be open to revelation, we should also be studying and learning and setting things in order.  Revelation is awesome, but it is also tempting to lean on it exclusively or wait for it sometimes, when we should actually be jumping in and making something of our lives, and not waiting for God to tell us every detail.  The closer that we get to God, I think that the easier it will be to get revelation about our lives and have an idea of what comes next or what we should decide in certain cases, but I think often we use the silence as supposed "evidence" of God's absence, or lack of empathy, rather than seeing it as a natural parental gesture.  Sometimes we need to figure things out on our own.  If I went to my mom today and asked her how to tie my shoes, she might tell me... but after three or four days of it, I think she would just tell me that I already know, and I need to move on to something more important. :)  Not a perfect analogy, but somewhat similar to what God tells us sometimes.  When there isn't a clear message about where to go or what to do... that is our cue.  We need to jump in there and learn all we can, so that we're *ready* for the next clear message.  And we should learn spiritual things, and pray and read our scriptures, and make sure we fulfil our responsibilities at church, but we should also be reading other good books, and learning languages and getting to know people. God tells us that is important.  The whole world is our textbook in these lessons, and while we should never discount revelation, or the scriptures, or any other spiritual thing, let's remember that we need to be "anxiously engaged" and not waiting around for God to tell us to take the next step (see D&C 58:26-29).
Today, let's listen and be ready for revelation.  And while we're waiting, let's read and study and learn and do all we can.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post. I am sorry I have not read more in the passed. I also find your comments in church to be inspiring. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews