Friday, November 20, 2009

Jeremiah 31:33-34

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."
Jeremiah 31:33-34


This is amazing stuff. I love Jeremiah because he wrote so long ago, but he wrote about our day... and it is amazing to hear these prophecies in Old Testament language, about us, and about things that are happening now. These verses are cool because it talks about a time that is yet to come when God will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and our knowledge of God will be first hand, and internalized to such an extent that we won't have to teach each other... because it will be so clear and so obvious to us all. I think that is amazing... can you imagine living in a community like that? Where God and his laws are a given... I imagine how much more we can learn when we're no longer arguing about those basics. And how amazing it would be to live among people who follow God's laws as part of themselves... who never think of cheating you or harming you... where people truly love each other consistently. :) I look forward to that day, and perhaps we can work on having a little bit of it today, by internalizing our relationship with God... including him in everything we do today. If we keep it up enough, it will become second nature to us, and God will be the first person we think of and the first person we go to when *anything* happens. Let's try it, and get a glimpse of perfection. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews