Monday, March 27, 2006

Deuteronomy 4:29-31 -- On Seeking the Lord

"But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the Lord thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
(For the Lord thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them."
Deuteronomy 4:29-31


Moses is talking to the Children of Israel here: warning them of what will happen in the future… that they will give themselves to idols again, and be scattered and afflicted.  I think it is important to remember that *we* are the people he is speaking to.  He says “in the latter days” … and that is us. :)
One of the things I like here is that Moses is telling them they are going to be in a very bad situation… “but if from thence thou shalt seek…” … and that applies to us directly, in whatever situation we are in. As followers of Christ, we’re part of the scattered tribes, whether by blood or adoption, and this promise is directly to us.   Wherever we have been scattered to, whatever idols we have worshipped… if from here we shall seek the Lord our God, we will find him.  We have to seek with everything we have… but if we do, then God offers us what he offered our ancestors long ago… which were amazing things.  Plus, specifically in these verses he promises to not forsake us or destroy us… and those are pretty cool as well, especially to me the not forsake us part.  When I try to function without God in my life, I stall a lot.  My mind is dark, so I can’t even think… nothing works.  I become this walking, talking zombie… no mind, no heart… no soul.  It stinks. On one hand, though, it has a purpose… it is amazingly good for me to remember that I desperately need God in my life.  And when he is here, with us, let’s not take that for granted.   We need to work to keep that relationship every day… seek him with all of our hearts and all of our souls, as the verses indicate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews