Saturday, December 30, 2023

Micah 6:6-8 -- On Offerings and Sacrifice

"Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"
Micah 6:6-8


I like these verses because they seem to illustrate that what God wants from us isn't high drama. Yes, we need to make sacrifices sometimes, but it isn't about death and drama but rather about priorities. The daily sacrifice of a broken heart and a contrite spirit, not "he who suffers the most wins." God asks us to break our hearts enough to let him in--he isn't trying to destroy us and stomp on our remains. It can be very, very difficult to overcome ourselves, but it shouldn't be soul-destroying for ourselves or others.

Today, let's walk in justice and mercy, putting the Lord's will before our own, and being clean and kind. Let's crack our walls enough to love others and embrace God. Let's be humble enough to recognize that God is wiser than we are and that we have a lot to learn from each other. Let's walk his path and learn to love as he does. That is what the Lord asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews