Wednesday, March 8, 2023

2 Nephi 29:11-12 -- On Writing

"For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it."
2 Nephi 29:11-12


This is interesting, not just because of the second verse of the selection which seems to relate directly to writing that will be used to comprise scripture--Bible, Book of Mormon, and future compilations--but the first verse here seems to apply it to us individually as well: "every man according to their works."

Today, let's think about this, and perhaps get a journal or a diary where we can write the things that God has told us. As God says above, it is a commandment, and since it will be used to judge us as well, seems like talking things out with God and writing our side of the story would be a good start. Reminds me of Orual's story in Till We Have Faces. The story doesn't always end up the way we thought, but the exercise and the participation with God in the writing of it is what matters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews