Monday, December 6, 2021

Luke 7:6-10 -- On God's Word

"Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof:
Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.
For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick."
Luke 7:6-10


This is part of a cool story about a Roman centurion who wanted Christ to save a servant that he cared a lot about. I like his faith that if Christ just said it, that it would happen. It reminds me of the whole creation sequence and "Let there be light" (Genesis 1:3, Moses 2:3, Abraham 4:3). I think we get used to it NOT being that way because of our own rebelliousness, and God's design of this world to give us space to learn and make choices and become more like him. God can say anything, and the forces of nature bend to his will... and we would do the same if he chose to force us, but he does not. He wants us to learn to be ourselves, and how to make things happen.

Today, let's have the faithfullness to believe that God is there and directing things, even if we can't see his hand making each specific change. Let's have the deep understanding of this centurion to trust in God's word alone, and not demand to have everything proven to our satisfaction before we are willing to listen or obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews