Monday, January 13, 2020

1 Nephi 11:1-2 -- On Asking

"For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what desirest thou?"
1 Nephi 11:1-2


These verses give us a little bit of insight into the way the Lord works.  We communicate with God well when we are away from distractions and we are calm and thinking about God and what we want to know.  Also, God answers specific questions, and it is worth our time to think carefully about our questions and requests.

Sometimes we want God to just come and tell us what to do rather than waiting until we ask questions, but this is actually a really good way God uses to teach us.  We typically learn better when we have questions than we do when we are just presented with information.  That's why watching General Conference with specific questions is a great idea.  It gives God an opportunity to help us focus on the answers, and it prepares our minds to get that help.

Today, let's try to be humble enough to know that we don't have all the answers, thoughtful enough to think about our questions, and faithful enough to ask God to help us find the answers.  Let's be like Nephi, preparing ourselves with desire, belief, and contemplation, and then let's go before the Lord and ask for what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews