Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Psalms 119:105-109 -- On Carrying Our Souls Safely

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O Lord, according unto thy word.
Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord, and teach me thy judgments.
My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law."
Psalms 119:105-109


The first verse of this selection is very popular, but I think just as important is the second verse.  The imagery of God's word lighting our path is awesome, but no less important is the importance of keeping our covenants with God.  As the selection continues, we see afflictions, and choices, and lessons. 

I really like verse 109 because I think it encompasses all of these things.  Having our souls in our hands mean that we are making choices every day that affect our souls and what happens to them is our responsibility... but at the same time, the psalmist reminds us that power over our own souls, as heady as that can be, shouldn't make us forget God's law.  If we want to be careful with those souls we are carrying around, and limit the damage we are doing, we need to listen to God.

He it is that lights our path, and helps our feet not to stumble.  As we keep our promises to him and follow his path, we find our way through affliction, gaining life and lessons as we willingly offer our wills to him because he can help us find our ways in the darkness.  Not saying rebellion is all bad, since there are of course things in life worth fighting, but in God's case, rebellion is pretty useless since it just leaves us more lost, and in the dark. :)

Today, let's remember who is lighting our path and keeping our souls safe even when we are holding them.  Let's keep our promises to God, and willingly follow him and his commandments so we can find our way through the darkness to light and happiness. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews