Thursday, November 1, 2001

Acts 4:32

"And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common."
Acts 4:32


I think this is really interesting, especially in today's acquisitive society.  I claim to own things, and would probably get quite worried loaning (or giving) *my* car or *my* computer to a neighbor.  I wonder how we can overcome that and become a true Zion community... of one heart and one soul.  I hope it doesn't take an overwhelming tragedy, although it will probably be easier for all of us to have everything common if all of the stuff that we are proud of owning gets turned to rubble.  There has to be a way to get there, or at least to start working on it, that isn't so dramatic though, don't you think? :)  Perhaps a thought experiment to start.  If I didn't have... my car, for instance, what would change in my life?  Do I know where the nearest bus routes are?  Could I get around to the places that I need to go?  Can I relate to the people who don't have a car?  Is a car *really* necessary to my life?  What in my life would have to change to be able to give that up?  I'm sure we all can think of things in our lives that are very important to us for different reasons.  I was getting my hair cut the other day and there was some promotional material about donating 10 inches of your hair to a children's cancer group, who would use it to make wigs for the kids.  So, I started thinking... how attached to my hair am I? :)  God gives some of us more than others... as a test.  We can glory in having more than someone else, or we can help to build a Zion community... by sharing God's abundance to us with others.  And once we try these thought experiments, maybe we'll be ready to give things that are important to us when the opportunity arises.  Maybe we'll understand how important these things can be to other people as well, especially the ones who don't have them.  That kind of understanding will at least start us off on the path to Zion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews