Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Omni 1:2 -- On Becoming Better than Wicked

"Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done."
Omni 1:2


I was thinking about what it would be like to write in your family history that you were wicked. Omni here points out that he tried to help his people, but that on a personal level he isn't a very good example... so maybe in that way he was attempting to encourage his descendants to be better than he was.

And on some level it is a huge task, and hopefully something that encourages some humility and honesty... but still, I hope that is something that I never have to do... to write my own history and say that I am wicked. I hope that I can be better than that. Certainly not perfect, but I hope better than wicked. Something I, and maybe all of us should be aiming for: better than wicked. :)

Today, let's repent and be serious about changing our lives, even if it is in tiny increments. The farther away from wicked we can get, the closer we are getting to eventual perfection, tiny little step by tiny little step. :) And if we ask, God will help us with the obstacles and the storms that threaten our progress. Let's pray for his help, and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews