Friday, April 22, 2022

Omni 1:1-3 -- On Potential

"Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy—
Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.
And it came to pass that two hundred and seventy and six years had passed away, and we had many seasons of peace; and we had many seasons of serious war and bloodshed. Yea, and in fine, two hundred and eighty and two years had passed away, and I had kept these plates according to the commandments of my fathers; and I conferred them upon my son Amaron. And I make an end."
Omni 1:1-3


The book of Omni is short and these are the only verses in it that Omni wrote, the rest being other descendants of his. What strikes me today is the lost potential. Omni's words were passed down to us miraculously through thousands of years, and yet this is all we know of him. He seems forthright, loyal to his people and to his father, honest insomuch as he admits that he should have kept God's commandments better. He likely was a strong leader, a good soldier. And yet, from our perspective as readers of the historical record, we are left wanting to know more of his story.

Today, maybe we can learn from Omni's example and try to leave more to our descendants than this. Let's work to not have to tell them that we were the wicked examples. Let's offer them some advice and hope. We don't necessarily have to write multiple chapters or be prophets or kings or generals to be able to contribute to the story of faith. We all have a story, and something to teach and to tell. Let's work to make a difference for good, and perhaps take up a personal challenge to do better, even if we only get three verses. Let's write them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews