Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Psalms 102:16-22 -- On Helping and Hoping for Zion

"When the Lord shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory.
He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer.
This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord.
For he hath looked down from the height of his sanctuary; from heaven did the Lord behold the earth;
To hear the groaning of the prisoner; to loose those that are appointed to death;
To declare the name of the Lord in Zion, and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the people are gathered together, and the kingdoms, to serve the Lord."
Psalms 102:16-22


I love the idea of building Zion.  Here, the destitute are specifically mentioned, as are prisoners and those appointed unto death.  In other places in the scriptures the fatherless and widows are prominently mentioned as well.  It seems that in Zion, not only will there be "no poor among them" (Moses 7:18), but that Christ means to help right all the injustice and inequality in our society.

I truly look forward to that, and in many ways I am interested to see how that looks.  Our modern society I think gets so polarized about different ideas that a "perfect" or even just a "good" government can easily seem like an impossibility, with no one able to agree on anything, and good people getting pulled to both sides.  A government with God in charge would seem like a big relief. :)

Not that I am saying that as humans we should just give up... we shouldn't.  We should work for a way to make things better, and with God's help, we can do a lot better.  I just like the idea of a Zion community where we actually get to live that way... and I wonder how badly I would fit in, and how much I would have to overhaul my ways of thinking to be able to treat people the way that a Zion person would.  ... Those are things that I should be working on now, so that when Zion actually comes, I won't be afraid to go there. :)

Today, let's try to be a little bit more like the Zion people we can be, and incorporate a little bit more goodness into our lives.  Let's help people more, and relieve the burdens of those that need help... looking forward to a Zion society that we have learned to be a part of. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews