Thursday, June 13, 2019

Psalms 27:8-11 -- On the Lord Taking Us Up

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.
Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies."
Psalms 27:8-11


I love the idea here that when even your closest family abandons you, God will not.  The first verse illustrates the fact that there is something within us that is drawn to the Lord, that loves him already, represented here by the heart.  The Lord says elsewhere that he requires "the heart and a willing mind" (D&C 64:34), and if we grant him those things, then he can help us with the rest. :)

Today, let's be willing, like the psalmist, to have God teach us his ways and lead us.  Let's allow the good, trusting, devoted part of ourselves to be in charge, and seek God's help in training and controlling the wilder parts of ourselves.  Our bodies are a priceless asset to us, but like so many other things, if we let them rule our lives, then we become lost, and fall away from the true path.  When and if we are lost, let's trust in God, and turn back to his path and his will, and with his help, regain control over our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews