Thursday, March 7, 2019

Job 38:8-11 -- On Boundaries for the Ocean

"Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?"
Job 38:8-11


These poetic verses remind Job about who God is, and I think that we need the reminder sometimes as well.  God can talk about the ocean as a child that needs boundaries, and he can enforce them.  That is just bigger than anything we can imagine doing I think... even with a giant engineering team at our beck and call.  God's capabilities are so far beyond our own that it is hard to imagine us ever coming close to his abilities... and yet, too often we forget that I think, and argue with him about whether our ways are better, or our opinions are superior.  We assume that he is small and flawed as we are, and blame him for our lives rather than seeing the greatness and grandeur and infinite mercy of his plan.

Today, let's take some time and really think about who God is, and why it might be a good idea to listen to him, or try to learn more about him.  I think the more we understand God, the more we can learn about ourselves and the world, and the greater a chance we have of getting a taste of what God is trying to accomplish.... I say trying, but of course I slip as well and think of him as mortal.  What I mean, of course, is what he WILL accomplish.  Let's talk to God today, and accord him the respect he deserves as we converse with and learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews