Sunday, May 3, 2015

Psalms 86:11-12 -- On a United Heart

"Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore."
Psalms 86:11-12


The idea of uniting a single heart is an interesting one, but as I think about it, it seems like something we probably all need.  We go throughout our lives and we want this, and that, and the other thing, and we're all over the place in terms of committing to God.  So many other things get in the way that our firm commitments and determination to put the Lord first often become kind of wishy-washy.
I really like the idea of praying to God so that our hearts will be united, individually. :)  If we can get all the conflicting parts of ourselves on board, facing in the same direction, then we have a pretty good shot at reaching a destination.  If we just keep wandering around, chasing different desires, then we're not going to end up anywhere we want to be.
It's tough to be consistent with the little things sometimes... reading scriptures, praying sincerely, paying tithing, dressing modestly, and all the rest... trying to keep all of the little details straight.  But the little things *are* the big thing.  The big thing just comes sort of disassembled, and we make it as we go.  Our tiny decisions and actions each day add up into who we become.  And that consistency and attention to detail help us keep our hearts united in putting God first.
Today, let's ask God to teach us to unite our hearts.  Let's walk in his truth... let go of conflicting emotions, desires, goals, and praise him with all that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews