Friday, January 3, 2014

3 Nephi 27:26-27

"And behold, all things are written by the Father; therefore out of the books which shall be written shall the world be judged.
And know ye that ye shall be judges of this people, according to the judgment which I shall give unto you, which shall be just. Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am."
3 Nephi 27:26-27


The idea that God writes down everything is interesting to me.  Writing things down requires a lot of thought, and it always incorporates our perspective.  Our voice leaks out, even when we are trying not to let it show.  And although God can be *perfectly* objective, for our sakes, I hope he is not.  I like to think that the story of our lives will be written from the perspective of a loving, compassionate, merciful Father.  And when we are judged, he will conveniently skip the paragraphs concerning the sins we've repented of, and he will present our lives in the most positive light possible.  Perfectly just *and* perfectly merciful... giving us credit for who we have learned to be, and not who we were at our worst.
The lead-in verse changes the way that I look at the second verse.  Instead of thinking about vague perfection, I start thinking about very specific things like compassion and justice and helping people to be the best they can be.
Today, let's work on being like God in some specific compassionate ways.  let's learn to judge mercifully, and allow space for people to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews