Monday, August 10, 2009

Revelation 3:15-16 -- On Decision and Commitment

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."
Revelation 3:15-16


This is interesting, and reminds me of some people I used to know who wondered if they were "fence sitters" during the war in heaven. I really don't think that is possible. I think the fact that we are here means that we chose, and actively worked towards a certain goal. And I think that is exactly what we have to do in this life as well. We have to make a choice. No matter how tempting inaction is sometimes, it is not enough to sit in the middle and say "well, if God exists, this, and if he doesn't, that..." or if you've gotten past that hurdle, there are tons more... Mormonism could be right or wrong, or this choice or that choice, or any choice at all... we can choose to not take a side and try to lurk around in the middle, hoping that we can jump one way or the other when we see which way things are going... or hoping somehow that we won't actually have to make a choice.

I think this scripture tells us that won't work. We need to make those choices... figure out what we believe and take a stand. That's hard sometimes, I know. Many choices are life-changing, and we don't want to get them wrong. So sticking with God, and making sure we include him in our decision-making process is important as well... but sometimes actually making the decision, and then asking God if it is okay with Him is a better idea than the way-harder-to-interpret "what should I do?" Today, let's try to be more decisive... even about little things like what to have for lunch, just for the practice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews