Wednesday, August 17, 2005

1 Nephi 15:8-9


"And I said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?
And they said unto me: We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us."
1 Nephi 15:8-9


These verses are a dialogue between Nephi and his brothers.  His brothers were having problems understanding their father the prophet, and what he said about some of the scriptures.  Nephi asks them if they have asked God, like it is the most obvious thing in the world... and maybe it is. :)
I think that I get into the same trap sometimes, and complain about not understanding things in my life, when I haven't taken the time to ask God.  I assume, like Nephi's brothers did, that God isn't interested in clarifying things for me. :) ... And, you know, sometimes you have to learn to deal with ambiguity. It's part of life; however, God does want us to understand his plan, and to believe in it and stand behind it.  It can't hurt to ask... and God will answer, even if sometimes the answer is "no," or "Let's talk about this later, when you are a little more ready to understand." :) 
Later in the chapter Nephi explains what we need to do in order to get answers: "Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."  That could be a scripture of the day all on its own. :)  But I like a couple of things here especially.  We can't harden our hearts.  I think that is a major, major point.  We have to be sensitive to the spirit.  We have to have faith, believe, and we have to be doing our best to live the commandments. ... in other words, we have to be putting forth some effort on our side.  We can't just sit back and expect God to make our understandings (and our lives) perfect without looking into it ourselves. :)  How else will we learn, after all? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews