Tuesday, April 19, 2005

1 Nephi 3:31


"And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands? Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?"
1 Nephi 3:31


If you recall at this point in the Book of Mormon, Nephi and his brothers had been sent to recover the plates of Laban, and had tried asking nicely, and offering incredible riches. Laban tried to murder them in return, and stole all the gold and precious things that they had brought. So, Laman and Lemuel are mad, and taking it out on their younger brothers. ... then an Angel comes and tells them to stop, and to try again. This is an _Angel_ we're talking... probably all glowy and white; obviously not your everyday person. Messenger from God... and so Laman and Lemuel listen to this, and afterward... they murmur?  I imagine seeing an Angel and then just nodding and doing whatever he or she said because I would still be in a daze... for weeks, months probably... maybe years, just because of the experience.  Perhaps though, in a way, I do the same thing.  When I pray to God to help me overcome my bad habits, or to help me with a certain situation, do I actually believe that I will receive help?  Sometimes I just give up, thinking that I'm not good enough or strong enough or that the situation is just impossible. ... I think that is similar to Laman and Lemuel's murmuring.  God is actively a part of each of our lives.  He listens to our prayers, and he gives us the strength to meet any challenge that we are faced with in our lives.  When we give up, thinking that things are impossible, then we're denying that God is there... disbelieving his promise that he won't give us anything that we can't handle, with his help.  Today, let's remember that God is there, and instead of murmuring, let's walk into each situation we're faced with... confident that the Lord will assist us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews