Saturday, March 8, 2003

Alma 33:17

"And now, my brethren, ye see that a second prophet of old has testified of the Son of God, and because the the people would not understand his words they stoned him to death."
Alma 33:17


I was thinking about this today... and unfortunately, I think I sometimes fall into the same trap these people did.  I don't understand some things in the gospel, but how much of that is because I choose not to understand?  Does that make sense?  I think that we probably would understand a lot more if we would allow ourselves to do so.  If we didn't throw up defensive walls against things that we think threaten our habits, then we'd more fully comprehend the gospel.  I know that I accept things really quickly when I already live that way... sure, that makes sense, because it requires no effort on my part.  It is harder to process information that actually requires me to do something.  Do we sabotage our own thought processes?  I think that we do.  When we don't want to live by a certain guideline, then we avoid thinking about it, or even trying to understand it.  Instead, if it pops into our minds at all, we think of all the reasons that it couldn't be right, or perhaps why it applies to other people, but not to us personally.  ...Today, let's try to think past our own mental blocks, and give God a chance to get through to us.  I'm not saying it will be easy... but it will definitely be enlightening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews