Wednesday, January 19, 2000

Mormon 9:14


"And then cometh the judgment of the Holy One upon them; and then cometh the time that he that is filthy shall be filthy still; and he that is righteous shall be righteous still; he that is happy shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy shall be unhappy still."
Mormon 9:14


I think this is so interesting, especially the happiness part... we know that "man is that he might have joy" and from this scripture it obviously means NOW. :) C. S. Lewis says that he doesn't know whether God particularly wants us to be happy... but here, I think it is evident that he does. I don't think that means that God doesn't know that we need some sacrifice and some suffering in our lives... but we're here to learn to be happy in the midst of it all. I think a lot of times I think, well... I’ll endure, get through this chapter, and maybe when I turn the page, the hero gets happier, or at least gets a mazerati or something... which is practically the same thing. :) Seriously though... I think this scripture tells us that we can do a lot better than "endure" and "exist" ... we can be happy. :) I don't think God expects it 24/7, and I don't think it means that we have to sing sunshine songs and be sickeningly sweet and sugary to people all the time... (but that could be cynicism...) what I do think that it means is that even when bad things happen, our souls are filled with joy... maybe that joy gets dampened for a while, but it is still there in the background... so, when one thing goes wrong, your whole life isn't wrong, and in the background it is waiting to get better. overall, I guess it means that we *can* be happy now, in this life... no waiting until we die... and that God definitely wants us to be. ...not that I go around contradicting C. S. Lewis every day, you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews